Wednesday 21 January 2015

Happy Birthday, your cancer's back

Today is my 50th birthday. Yes your old dragon successfully made it to a half century of rotations around the sun. It's been a blast so far and I wouldn't have missed any of it... well maybe that bit when I was on a ferry in a storm in the North Sea and I managed to projectile vomit the length of the ship.

Unfortunately, and there's always an unfortunately with cancer, there was an unwelcome e carly birthday present this week when I went to get my results from the Donut of Doom and got the news that the liver metastases had started to grow back. Not by a huge amount, one of them by about a centimetre, but definitely on the march again. Fortunately it doesn't appear to have spread anywhere else so far which is a definite plus.

To be honest I was expecting the news. Since around the new year the fatigue has started to creep back and I was starting to get the liver capsule pain after eating which is what happened before. I told myself that it might be that I was run down after having had a persistent cold on the run up to Christmas and that the rest might be a bit of indigestion but being honest I knew.

So the plan is to whallop it with some more chemicals. Different ones this time with a regime called FOLFRI where the miracle wonder ingredient is Irinotecan which stops DNA from unzipping and thus buggers up cell growth. Happily unlike the platinum based drugs I was on before this doesn't give you the problems with cold screwing up your fingers and toes but it does cause hair loss and apparently can give you the most monumental squits. What fun.

I'm also going to be put onto a monoclonal antibody, Cetuximab which is some Frankenstein's Monster drug made by combining mouse and human genes. I'm quite comfortable with that and to be honest if they came up with something which worked that was made by throwing cute kittens and fluffy pink unicorns in a blender I'd be at the head of the queue to guzzle it down. If I suddenly start squeaking and raiding the fridge for cheese though I'll be sure and let you know.

Interestingly given the early pre-election skirmishing over the NHS and the withdrawal of some of the extra money for cancer drugs Cetuximab is one of those drugs that my oncologist has had to apply to the Cancer Drugs Fund for. I did mention that I was lucky to get in before they withdraw some of the money in March.

"Not at all," says he. "Cetuximab is still available and the only bowel cancer drug that's being withdrawn is one I don't use because, quite frankly, it hardly ever works."

So there you go. All the scaremongering about hundreds of cancer patients dying because of evil nasty government cuts is, quite frankly bollocks.

Right, where's my cheese

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got a shakiness over that you wish
    be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly
    again as the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.
    podtrans pro crack
    movavi screen recorder crack
    little snitch crack
    inpixio photo clip pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one
    Thanks a lot!
    avg secure search crack
    cyberlink powerdvd ultra 19 crack
    gameloop android emulator crack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really impressed with your writing skills, as smart as the structure of your weblog.
    Is this a paid topic or do you change it yourself?
    However, stopping by with great quality writing, it's hard to see any good blog today.
    backup4all pro 7 crack
    ytd video downloader pro crack
    ashampoo burning studio crack
    wondershare uni converter crack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed!
    Very helpful info specially the last phase: I handle such info a lot. I used to be looking for this
    particular info for a very long time. Thanks and best of luck.
    wintohdd crack
    drum extract vst crack
    getdataback pro crack
    teamviewer crack
    teamviewer crack

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in fact grateful to the holder of this site who has shared this fantastic piece of writing
    at at this time.

    cyberduck crack
    media player classic home cinema crack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ... what a wonderful article in the blog comments.
    I have a lot of specific concepts ... better now after reading this article in blog comments.
    Free FL Studio Crack software for Windows and Mac. driver easy pro crack
    connectify hotspot torrent
    format factory crack
    4k video downloader crack

    ReplyDelete
  8. This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!
    ashampoo burning studio serial key latest
    lucky patcher apk
    driver genius-pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this web page on a regular
    basis, this web site is actually good and the users are truly
    sharing fastidious thoughts.
    ccproxy build crack
    ideal administration
    thoptv apk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Bless you

    movavi video editor crack
    net protector crack
    gaana pro apk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely written & done.
    I started writing in the last few days and realized that lot of
    writers simply rework old ideas but add very little of value.
    It’s fantastic to read an informative post of some genuine value to myself and your other followers.
    It is on the list of things I need to replicate as a new blogger.
    Reader engagement and content quality are king.
    Some terrific ideas; you’ve most certainly managed to get on my list of blogs to watch!
    Carry on the terrific work!
    Well done,
    Cheryl.
    Thank you!
    smoothvideo project crack

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post I found your blog by accident
    I want to say that I love to surf.
    Post your blog I will subscribe to your RSS feed after all.
    I hope you will write again soon!
    sweet home 3d crack
    total network inventory crack
    adobe pagemaker crack
    light invoice crack
    bitwig studio crack
    manycam pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very thankful for the effort put on by you, to help us, Thank you so much for the post it is very helpful.
    Activatedlink
    HWMonitor Pro Crack
    Winthruster Crack
    Duplicate Cleaner Pro Crack
    Netbalancer Crack
    Dbschema Crack

    ReplyDelete


  15. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am having troubles with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I am unable to join it. Is there anybody having the same RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!
    adobe prelude cc crack
    poweramp music player crack mod
    microsoft office crack
    nero burning rom crack

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, amazing block structure! How long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    In the content!
    vstpatch.net
    Cubase Crack
    Articulate Storyline Crack
    Rapid SEO Tool Crack
    Franzis CutOut Professional Crack
    UniPDF Crack

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Finally, I've found a site where I can learn important things.
    ABViewer Enterprise

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a fantastic article. This is a very useful post. Scrivener

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete